Every once in a while I get in to painting miniatures, as you may know. I love the idea of having a small image of someone/thing you love that you can carry around with you. Well, I painted a mini of my little buddy Mer looking grumpy. I took it along with me to Scotland and it was an excellent totem and I think it brought us good luck, along with plenty of heather.
Later I decided to paint his friend at the time, Zeebee. I thought that they would go along well with my pissed-off-settler portraits; Mer would be a grumpy settler and Zeebee would be nobly hopeful.
The Mer and Zeebee were a big hit, which prompted my aunt to request portraits of her furry family members too.
It was actually more of a struggle than I expected to paint at someone else’s request, and with a deadline! I managed to finish them all and they were met with great pleasure. The following are some process pictures and the final outcome.
Yet again, I have not produced anything new to post (sigh), although I have been doing some drawing (yay). I happen to have some pictures of some an experiment I did based on an Art Nouveau poppies I found, probably somwheres on the internet. First I basically copied the poppies, which was quite pleasant
Then I got excited and stole some images of flowers from good seed catalogues, stylized them and added some half-assed Art Nouveau-y lines. I left the backgrounds with the wood texture, which makes all the colour stand out.
Unfortunately, it never occurs to me to sand the wood, so edges come out a little more rough than I’d really like. Or maybe they would just come out a lot differently if I were to do another.
By the third one things were starting to get a little fairy-tale style, which appeals to me on another level. I really should work more with these. I know that there is another, unfinished, of geranium; maybe soon I will finish that.