Back in my late teens-early twenties, I occasionally made papier mache masks for theatrical/costume purposes. Though I never achieved the mastery of mask-making that my classmate Doug Witt did (see his work here – it’s terrific!)), I’m proud of the work I did.
This Troll Queen theatre mask was created for a one-act play called ‘Under the Bridge,’ for the character ( duh) of the Troll Queen. The features were sculpted from plasticine onto a plaster mould of the actor’s face. I then applied a very light layer of vaseline to the sculpt, and covered it in papier mache. once removed and cleaned up, this papier mache cast was attached to a basic blank of the actor’s face with more papier mache, at which stage the ‘hair’ and the elastic (to hold the mask on the actor) was attached as well.
I then painted it to finish it. In hindsight, this mask is probably too dark to really read on stage; if I was doing it again, I’d be much less subtle about the highlights; the paint job is more appropriate for costume parties or close-up theatre, like street theatre. Overall, however, both myself and the players were pretty happy with my work.
This is an embroidered sampler that I created from a pattern. Generally I design my embroidered pieces myself, but this one was kicking around the house, and so I started working on it. The main change that I made was to re-work the colours, which were originally in some super-gross pastels. I (obviously) prefer the colours in the picture.
I think this design was called a ‘Jacobean’ sampler, but it looks to me more like the 1980s than the 1600s.
You’ll notice that there’s space at the bottom, which is where my name and the date is supposed to go; it’s the one part I can’t seem to get around to finishing. The rest of the sampler has been done for years.
Here are some close-ups:
Created using a template I found online, these felt flowers each have barrettes attached to them so that you can put them in your hair, but could also be worn as a brooch or grouped together to make a bouquet.
We haven’t worked on it in a little while, but this is a square from the Lodge Quilt that Cassie and i have been working on for a few years. The pattern is called Ohio Star, and the reason we call it the Lodge Quilt is because it’s for my dream cottage, The Lodge. I don’t have it yet, but the quilt isn’t finished yet either.